- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 8 bacon strips
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and lemon-pepper. In a large skillet, cook chicken in oil for 6-7 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 165°; remove and keep warm.
- In same skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings.
- In drippings, saute onion and brown sugar until onion is tender and golden brown. Place two bacon strips on each chicken breast half; top with caramelized onions and cheese. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Smothered Chicken Breasts
Sort By :
"This is one of the best recipes I have ever made! Everyone enjoyed it and cleaned their plate. I will say your chicken breads won't cook in 7 minutes on each side. I flattened mine for more even cooking but they still took 30 minutes or more. When I figured they were taking a long time, I cooked the bacon separately, otherwise dinner would have been really late. Once the chicken was done I put some bacon grease in the chicken pan and cooked the onions. I added a bit of chicken broth to the pan to deglaze and I had a bit of a really nice gravy that was totally unexpected.I also worried that cooking everything in the order that the chicken would get cold. I agree the steps should be reversed. Cook the bacon, then onions, then chicken and I suggest adding the onions back to the pan with the chicken to warm them before serving. That way, everything is hot and the cheese will melt. This will definitely be made again in our house!"
"OHHH so good!"
"This was a delicious way to fix chicken. I cut a thick chicken breast in half vertifcally and used one slice of bacon for each half breast. I also used mozzarella cheese instead of Colby-Monterey."
"Delicious!! The whole family loves it. I add a little honey mustard to the caramelized onions and its a wonderful addition!"
"The sweetness of the brown sugar onions with the bacon and cheese is the perfect combination! Had dinner done in 20 minutes! Perfect for the low carb lovers and the picky eaters!"