Smothered Chicken Breasts Recipe
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 8 bacon strips
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and lemon-pepper. In a large skillet, cook chicken in oil for 6-7 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 165°; remove and keep warm.
- In same skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings.
- In drippings, saute onion and brown sugar until onion is tender and golden brown. Place two bacon strips on each chicken breast half; top with caramelized onions and cheese. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Smothered Chicken Breasts(19)
Sort By :
Good and easy to make
Delicious!!! Made for dinner tonight with some minor changes...had no chicken breasts so used 2 skinless thighs and legs and more onions! I may cut down the sugar or use Splenda since I am diabetic!
Pretty easy and delicious! I didn't use the brown sugar, Colby jack, or lemon pepper. I used mozzarella because that's what I had and garlic seasoning mix because I don't like lemon pepper. I followed others' suggestions and did the bacon and onion first. I think it would have been better with the Colby jack so next time I'll make sure I have it and I'll crumble the bacon because the strips just slide off.
I also made this in reverse - cooking the bacon first, then the onions, and then the chicken. I seasoned the chicken with Montreal Steak Seasoning instead of lemon pepper. After the chicken was cooked, I placed the broken up bacon pieces and onions on top. I then added the cheese and placed a lid on the skillet to allow the cheese to melt. Delicious! I have also subbed swiss cheese for the Colby Monterey Jack. Sometimes, I add sautéed mushrooms to the toppings. This is a great recipe that can be tweaked to meet the tastes of your family.
Delicious! Everyone gave this chicken recipe a thumbs up. Followed the recipe as written, except to give the cheese topped masterpiece time to melt. Great recipe!
More Recipe Collections
- Bacon Recipes >
- Boneless Chicken Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Chicken Breast Recipes >
- Chicken Dinner Recipes >
- Chicken Main Dishes >
- Chicken Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Grand Prize Winning Recipes >
- Quick Chicken Dinner Recipes >
- Quick Chicken Dinners >
- Quick Dinner Recipes >
- Simple Dinner Recipes >
- Simple Quick Recipes >