- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 carton (32 ounces) chicken broth
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (15 ounces) white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups finely chopped cabbage
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup ditalini or other small pasta
- Grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until beef is no longer pink and onion is tender; drain.
- Transfer to a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the broth, tomatoes, beans, carrots, cabbage, celery, basil, garlic, salt and pepper. Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in pasta. Cover and cook on high 30 minutes longer or until pasta is tender. Sprinkle with cheese if desired. Yield: 8 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Reviews for Slow Cooker Pasta e Fagioli
"Delicious! So easy to put together. Made it exactly as printed, with the exception of the cabbage. Did not have any on hand, so substituted spinach. This was so good and even better the next day for lunch. Thank You!"
"It was good but a bit lacking in the seasoning department. I used ground turkey rather than beef since that's what I had on hand. I would make again but add some more seasonings!"
"I made this on the stove and it turned out great and delicious. It may have been even better the next day for lunch!"
"Delicious. I exchanged some of the vegetables for what I had. It was very thick and wonderful."
"Shame on you who rate a recipe without actually making it!!!"
"This was a traditional soup in my Italian family. We used pancetta, or Italian bacon if you will, and we didn't use a crock pot, beans were soaked overnight, and then fully cooked. we also pureed some of the beans leaving the rest whole. Never the less, I will give this a try to see how it compares to my mon's soup. I have only given it a 3 star as I am unsure of the way it tastes will try to review again once made"
"This soup is soooo easy and taste soooo delicious. I made the whole batch. There are only two of us, so I froze two quarts to enjoy when soup weather arrives. Thanks for the recipe."
"This looks good but from what I have seen and read traditional Pasta Fegioli is meatless. I'm not rating this until I make it. I'll omitt the beef. I had to submit a rating In order to post."
"I made this today and it's great!! Will make this again."