Slow Cooker Beef Stew Recipe
- 1-1/2 pounds potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 6 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch slices
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 3 celery ribs, coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon browning sauce
- Layer the potatoes, carrots, onion and celery in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Place flour in a large resealable plastic bag. Add stew meat; seal and toss to coat evenly. In a large skillet, brown meat in oil in batches. Place over vegetables.
- In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, broth, mustard, salt, pepper, thyme and browning sauce. Pour over beef. Cover and cook on high for 1-1/2 hours. Reduce heat to low; cook 7-8 hours longer or until the meat and vegetables are tender. Yield: 8 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Slow Cooker Beef Stew(20)
Sort By :
I had my doubts about half way through the cooking process. I thought it smelled like the thyme was overpowering the other flavors; however, after it was done, I was wonderfully surprised. It had a very good flavor with just a hint of thyme. I made the recipe just as written and I will make it again as written. It is a good beef stew but very mild tasting. I would have liked a bit more depth of flavor.
Great on a cool fall day.
This turned out really great! We made many modifications for health purposes...here they are:
1)We used gluten free flour instead of regular
2) We used sweet potatoes instead of white
3) We used homemade bone broth instead of regular beef broth (bone broth is really healing for the gut...check out GAPS diet). I think she meant to say a quart of broth instead of a cup...but basically we just poured the broth over everything until it just about covered the contents of the pot.
4) We used pink Himalayan salt instead of regular salt (used 2 teaspoons)
5) We omitted the tomatoes and celery and instead added chopped kale, 3 leeks, frozen green peas, green beans, and 3 cloves of minced garlic.
6) Doubled the recipe, so used 3 pounds of grass fed organic chuck roast cut into cubes (so much more tasty than stew meat)
7) Used fresh herbs tied into a bundle
8) Used ghee instead of canola oil
This was amazing! We turned on the crock pot at 11pm and it was finished when we got up the next morning at 7:30am.
This recipe requires a little bit of work in the beginning, but it is worth it. I added a seasoning pack of Beef Stew seasoning to the meat after browning. In the last 30 minutes of cooking, I added 1 Cup of frozen corn, 1 cup of frozen peas 1 can of green beans, and 1 jar of sliced mushrooms. I also recommend cutting up fresh mushrooms and adding that in with the meat. This is a very hearty meal served with fresh baked bread and a green salad.
My coworkers and I fixed this stew for a men's basketball team, they loved it and we loved it! We will all make it again!!
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Beef Slow Cooker Recipes >
- Beef Stew Recipes >
- Beef Stews >
- Budget Dinner Recipes >
- Carrot Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Stew Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Potato Recipes >
- Slow Cooker Beef Recipes >
- Slow Cooker Beef Stew >