- 2 small carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 celery rib, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 cup cut fresh green beans (2-inch pieces)
- 2 small red potatoes, halved
- 2 bone-in chicken breast halves (7 ounces each), skin removed
- 2 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 3/4 cup hot water
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- Pinch pepper
- In a 3-qt. slow cooker, layer the first seven ingredients in the order listed. Combine the water, bouillon, salt, thyme, basil and pepper; pour over the top. Do not stir.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until vegetables are tender and meat thermometer reads 170°. Remove chicken and vegetables. Thicken cooking juices for gravy if desired. Yield: 2 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Slow-Cooked Sunday Chicken
"This was very easy and tasty.I used 3 chicken breasts instead of the 2 recommended.I added a little extra chicken broth and extra potatoes.I increased the seasoning since some thought it a little bland. It was a great weeknight dinner that tasted like s Sunday dinner.I served it with fried cornbread.I wouldn't change a thing"
"It was great. I made a gravy out of the drippings. Next time I'll add more liquid to the crock pot so I can make more of the gravy. (I used chicken breast boneless skinless and doubled the recipe.)"
"This recipe was simple and it was a good meal. It makes for a full course meal. Thanks! The seasoning after cooking may help build more flavor."
"Very, very bland. So disappointed."
"Since Sunday I like to TRY to relax more, it is the crock pot for me. Got on the computer and saw this and I got everything they mention and even a bit extra. Have done this kind of recipe but in the oven and it turns out good, and pretty sure this will be good tomorrow. For the Lady who needed more taste on her veggies. I use Mrs. Dash on alot and it works for us. I will use chicken stock though instead of the hot water and bouillon, Aldi's grocery store for a $1.79, had it for the holiday time and it has more flavor than the chicken broth."
"Okay, this is going to sound weird. I am not in a fan of pot roast. For me, this fulfilled the meat and potates desire and made the family happy. I used chiceken thighs with skin and bone in, seared the skin in the bacon fat, and made gravy. The results? I say better than pot roast!"
"Doubled the recipe and made it to a "T". Loved it, very filling and the chicken was perfect, but I wish it had a little more flavor in the veggies."
"can I use FROZEN breasts or should they be thawed 1st??"
"This was a GREAT meal!!! Kinda like chicken stew! I changed things up a bit though... I omitted the celery and green beans (used green beans for side dish) and added mini portobello mushrooms instead. Also, in the water & chicken bouillon I added an Italian seasoning blend and garlic powder instead of thyme & basil. Another thing I added was 1 can of Campbells Cream of chicken & Mushroom soup (undiluted) and 1 can of Campbells Cream of Mushroom w/ Roasted Garlic soup. The meal was FANTASTIC and had great flavor! Hubby and the kids loved it! This will for sure be a great dinner for any occasion! :)"
"Not a company dish but just down home good cooking. It was a hit at my house."