Slow-Cooked Mandarin Chicken Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup thawed orange juice concentrate
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 3-1/2 pounds), cut up and skin removed
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup pitted ripe olives, optional
- Hot cooked rice
- In a large bowl, combine the water, ketchup, brown sugar, orange juice concentrate, soy sauce, mustard, salt, garlic powder, ginger and pepper. Pour half into a large resealable plastic bag; add chicken. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight. Cover and refrigerate remaining marinade.
- Drain and discard marinade from chicken. Place chicken in a 4 or 5-qt. slow cooker; add reserved marinade. Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours or until chicken juices run clear.
- Remove meat to a serving platter; keep warm. Skim fat from cooking juices; transfer to a small saucepan. Bring liquid to a boil. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth. Gradually stir into the saucepan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the oranges, green pepper and olives if desired. Serve with chicken and rice. Yield: 4 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Slow-Cooked Mandarin Chicken(1)
Sort By :
This was very easy to make and turned out really well. I used 4 lbs of chicken thighs and took the skin off myself. I find whole chickens in the slow cooker result in lots of small bones on the plate. I would have liked it to be sweeter or have a stronger orange flavor, but it was still pretty good. Will be something to add to the rotation. Had with eggrolls and veggies, but will probably do a lo mein next time.
More Recipe Collections
- Chicken Slow Cooker Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Rice Recipes >
- Simple Dinner Recipes >
- Slow Cooker Chicken and Rice >