Oranges and olives are elegantly paired in this different but delicious dish from Aney Chatterton. "The chicken is marinated, then cooked slowly in a flavorful sauce, so it stays moist," notes the Soda Springs, Idaho cook. To trim prep time, ask your butcher to cut up and skin the chicken for you.
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup thawed orange juice concentrate
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 3-1/2 pounds), cut up and skin removed
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup pitted ripe olives, optional
- Hot cooked rice
- In a large bowl, combine the water, ketchup, brown sugar, orange juice concentrate, soy sauce, mustard, salt, garlic powder, ginger and pepper. Pour half into a large resealable plastic bag; add chicken. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight. Cover and refrigerate remaining marinade.
- Drain and discard marinade from chicken. Place chicken in a 4 or 5-qt. slow cooker; add reserved marinade. Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours or until chicken juices run clear.
- Remove meat to a serving platter; keep warm. Skim fat from cooking juices; transfer to a small saucepan. Bring liquid to a boil. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth. Gradually stir into the saucepan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the oranges, green pepper and olives if desired. Serve with chicken and rice. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Mandarin Chicken in Quick Cooking July/August 1998, p21
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Slow-Cooked Mandarin Chicken
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review