- 1-1/2 pounds beef stew meat
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup sliced fresh carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 4 cups beef broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup spaghetti sauce
- 2/3 cup medium pearl barley
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large skillet, brown meat in oil over medium heat; drain.
- Meanwhile, in a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the vegetables, broth, water, spaghetti sauce, barley and seasonings.
- Stir in beef. Cover and cook on low for 9-10 hours or until meat is tender. Skim fat. Yield: 8 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Reviews for Slow-Cooked Beef Barley Soup
Sort By :
"Soup was very good. Will make it the next time. But I will go easy on the spices. It was delicious with corn bread. Will spray the Crock pot with pam spray first to keep the ingredients from sticking to the sides."
"Good flavor in this easy to make soup. I added some frozen green beans and corn that I had on hand too."
"Really good on a cold winter's night! Love a great low-cal soup that has meat in it!"
"Easy! I ended up cooking on high for about 4 hours and then low for 3 and it turned out great. Served with garlic bread."
ABC Soup >