- 1-1/2 cups ketchup
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup Italian salad dressing
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) lima beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the first 12 ingredients. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until onion and peppers are tender. Discard bay leaves. Yield: 12 servings (3/4 cup each).
Reviews for Slow-Cooked Bean Medley
"Very good. Only change I will make next time is cut the brown sugar in half. A little too sweet. Hubby wants me to add polish sausage. This was a great recipe."
"For church potluck, I swapped out Lima beans and black-eyed peas for: Mexican corn, (I drained) and a can of chili beans w/garlic, onion & peppers (which I didn't drain). I also didn't add any water. I only used 1 cup ketchup, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1 med yellow, and med. red pepper instead of the green. I used 1 cup each of cooked, chopped bacon & ham. Next time will try the hamburger. Everyone raved about this dish, so I had to give it 5 stars!"
"Can this recipe be frozen...........I like to make large portions then break it up in small bowls to warm later."
"Very good just the way its written. will deffinately make again."
"I've been making these for years. I add cooked ground beef & I double the sauce (2 cups ketchup, 2 cups brown sugar & 1/4 c of vinegar). Always bring home an empty crockpot :)"