Slow-Cooker Vegan Baked Beans
Instead of in an oven, this version of vegan baked beans cooks in the slow cooker, making it the ultimate hands-off party dish. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + soaking Cook: 9 hours
- 1 pound dried navy beans
- 2 cups water
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- Sort beans and rinse in cold water. Place beans in a large bowl; add enough water to cover by 2 in. Let stand, covered, overnight.
- Drain and rinse beans, discarding liquid. Transfer beans to a greased 3-qt. slow cooker. In a small bowl, combine remaining ingredients. Stir into slow cooker.
- Cook, covered, on low 9-10 hours or until beans are tender.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled beans in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little water or broth if necessary.