Simple Vegetarian Slow-Cooked Beans
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 4 hours
- 4 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 medium carrots, finely chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon chili powder
- 4 cups fresh baby spinach, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, patted dry and chopped
- 1/3 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1/3 cup minced fresh parsley
- In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine the first 7 ingredients. Cook, covered, on low until carrots are tender, 4-5 hours, adding spinach and tomatoes during the last 10 minutes of cooking. Stir in cilantro and parsley.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 229 calories, 3g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 672mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 13g fiber), 12g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 1, 2019
These were creamy with a burst of flavor from the sun-dried tomatoes. Great healthy side dish, high in protein.
Mar 31, 2017
I used this recipe as a wonderful guideline for the dish I made. I didn't have 4 cans of beans so I made my own using 1 pound of cooked beans. I added the listed veggies and seasonings, but increased the vegetables by adding 1 medium onion, 1 cup bell (tri-color) pepper, 2 ribs celery, one jalapeno, and 1 small zucchini. I used frozen chopped spinach. I also increased the chili powder and cumin. Delicious! Laugh if you want...I'm serving it with grilled kielbasa!!!
Mar 5, 2016
This was tasty and seemed to be a hit at the potluck I took it to. I cooked it overnight and I think it sat on Warm for a little too long and the beans got slightly mushy. I will try it again without cooking for so long and see if I adjust my review.