- 1 boneless venison roast (4 pounds)
- 1-1/2 cups ketchup
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground mustard
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke, optional
- 2 teaspoons celery salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 drops hot pepper sauce
- 14 to 18 hamburger buns, split
- Cut venison roast in half; place in a 5-qt. slow cooker. In a large bowl, combine the ketchup, brown sugar, mustard, lemon juice, soy sauce, liquid smoke if desired and seasonings. Pour over venison. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove roast; cool slightly. Shred meat with two forks; return to slow cooker and heat through. Using a slotted spoon, place meat mixture on bun bottoms. Replace tops. Yield: 14-18 servings.
Reviews forShredded Venison Sandwiches
"Super delicious but too peppery for my taste. I only used half of the pepper."
"Very good, my husband is a deer hunter so we used venison but it would also work well for pork. Sauce had a good flavor, meat was very tender!"
"I do not care for the game flavor & you cannot taste game in this recipe. It is a more savory than sweet BBQ sauce."
"This was wonderful! I borrowed a roast from my boyfriend's family to make this recipe, and it makes me wish I had a hunter in my family. Even if you aren't a venison fan, this recipe definitely makes it more than edible."
"We tried thie recipe and loved it!! It was so good we shared it with our friends who hunt. This is a keeper, and the bonus is that iti is so easy to put together."
"I've used this recipe numerous times and every time it turns out great! This is one of my favorite venison recipes. Even people who don't like deer ask me for the recipe."
"Best sandwiches I've ever made! I would totally make it again!"