Scrambled Egg Casserole Recipe
- 1/2 cup butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded process American cheese
- 1 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- 12 eggs, beaten
- 1 jar (4 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1-1/2 cups soft bread crumbs
- Additional sliced green onions, optional
- In a large saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Whisk in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Remove from the heat. Stir in cheese; set aside.
- In a large skillet, saute ham and onions in 3 tablespoons butter until onions are tender. Add eggs; cook and stir until eggs are almost set. Stir in mushrooms and cheese sauce. Transfer to a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish. Melt remaining butter; toss with bread crumbs. Sprinkle over top. Cover and refrigerate for 2-3 hours or overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until top is golden brown. Sprinkle with additional green onions if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.
Reviews for Scrambled Egg Casserole
Sort By :
I've made this on Christmas morning for years. I have a mushroom hater so I use a small can of chopped green chiles instead.
This the second time I made this recipe. You definitely need to bake it for 40-45 minutes. I used Colby Jack cheese and still used fresh mushrooms that I saute. This is a keeper. Another thought is to add green chilies if you wanted to do a southwestern twist or Colby Jack cheese with chilies.
Used cheddar cheese instead of American, sauteed fresh mushrooms instead of canned and omitted the bread crumb topping (my kids don't like). Simple but tasty breakfast dish!
I will give this recipe a second chance with some changes. This was the first time I made it, instead of canned mushrooms, I saute fresh sliced mushroom other than that I followed the recipe. Next I will add some fresh herbs and increase the bake time to 40 to 45 minutes.
I've made this twice now and it is very good. It took 45-50 minutes to bake.