- 1/2 cup butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup shredded process American cheese
- 1 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- 12 large eggs, beaten
- 1 jar (4 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1-1/2 cups soft bread crumbs
- Additional sliced green onions, optional
- In a large saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Whisk in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Remove from the heat. Stir in cheese; set aside.
- In a large skillet, saute ham and onions in 3 tablespoons butter until onions are tender. Add eggs; cook and stir until eggs are almost set. Stir in mushrooms and cheese sauce. Transfer to a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish. Melt remaining butter; toss with bread crumbs. Sprinkle over top. Cover and refrigerate for 2-3 hours or overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until top is golden brown. Sprinkle with additional green onions if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews forScrambled Egg Casserole
"I've made this on Christmas morning for years. I have a mushroom hater so I use a small can of chopped green chiles instead."
"This the second time I made this recipe. You definitely need to bake it for 40-45 minutes. I used Colby Jack cheese and still used fresh mushrooms that I saute. This is a keeper. Another thought is to add green chilies if you wanted to do a southwestern twist or Colby Jack cheese with chilies."
"I will give this recipe a second chance with some changes. This was the first time I made it, instead of canned mushrooms, I saute fresh sliced mushroom other than that I followed the recipe. Next I will add some fresh herbs and increase the bake time to 40 to 45 minutes."
"I've made this twice now and it is very good. It took 45-50 minutes to bake."