I was tired of sweet French toast, so I made a savory version with sausage, cheddar and chives for Christmas one year. Now my family asks for it regularly.—Carol Grant, Freehold, NJ
Recommended: 32 Awesome Apple Breakfasts
- 10 slices French bread (1 inch thick)
- 1 pound Jones Dairy Farm All Natural Pork Sausage Roll
- 8 large eggs
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon minced chives
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Additional minced chives
- Preheat oven to 350°. Arrange bread in a single layer in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until no longer pink, breaking into crumbles; drain.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, milk, Parmesan, chives and pepper; pour over bread. Add sausage; sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, 25-30 minutes or until edges are golden and a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand 5 minutes before cutting. Sprinkle with additional chives.
- To Make Ahead:Prepare casserole as directed. Refrigerate, covered, several hours or overnight. To use, preheat oven to 350°. Remove casserole from refrigerator while oven heats. Bake, as directed. Sprinkle with additional chives. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Savory French Toast in Breakfast & Brunch Bookazine 2015, p8
Reviews for Savory French Toast
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review