- 1 pound Johnsonville® Polish Kielbasa Split Rope Sausage or Polish sausage, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 3 medium Yukon Gold or red potatoes, chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 bunch kale, trimmed and torn
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 carton (32 ounces) chicken broth
- In a Dutch oven over medium-low heat, cook the sausage, potatoes and onions in oil for 5 minutes or until sausage is heated through, stirring occasionally. Add kale; cover and cook for 2-3 minutes or until kale is wilted. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Add the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 9-12 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Discard bay leaves. Yield: 14 servings (3-1/2 quarts).
Reviews for Sausage and Kale Soup
Sort By :
"Substitute tomatos with chile rotel...its delicious"
"Im not a soup person, so for me to give this 5 stars is really saying something. I did cook dried garbanzos, but as I did them in a pressure cooker (no pre-soaking) it took 20 minutes with a quick cool. I also used Johnsonville smokes sausage brots, and I used home canned tomatoes. I wish the recipe had the nutritional facts below it, but as I use mostly all home grown ingredients (not the sausage) I have a bit of control as to what goes in it. Ive made this a couple times now and will be making again a few times before spring hits. its a real tasty quick warm me up soup. I will be on the lookout for a meat with a less fat content to use, and then make up for the loss in flavor from the sausage with spices."
"Great recipe! I am delighted how well this turned out. Thank you for a great recipe!"
"Outstanding! Highly recommend. My husband and I love how quick and easy this recipe is!"
"great recipe! I did use both kale and escarole, organic beef stock, and a bag of frozen veggies-used frozen squash instead of potato- added organic chicken sauasage with spinach-healthy and yummy!"