Sausage and Kale Soup Recipe
- 1 pound smoked kielbasa or Polish sausage, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 3 medium Yukon Gold or red potatoes, chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 bunch kale, trimmed and torn
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 carton (32 ounces) chicken broth
- In a Dutch oven over medium-low heat, cook the sausage, potatoes and onions in oil for 5 minutes or until sausage is heated through, stirring occasionally. Add kale; cover and cook for 2-3 minutes or until kale is wilted. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Add the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 9-12 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Discard bay leaves. Yield: 14 servings (3-1/2 quarts).
Reviews for Sausage and Kale Soup(7)
Sort By :
This is a delicious soup that has quickly become our families go to quick dinner. Substituted Great Northern Beans for the garbanzo/chickpeas and low-fat chicken sausage to save on the calories from traditional kielbasa. Yum-O! You won't be disappointed.
I used a slightly spicy New Orleans Andouille sausage which gave the soup a little kick. I also only used one medium onion instead of two. Very delicious!
This was sort of a new style of food for us. I made it because I had some kale on hand. I did leave out the bay leaves. We liked it and I will probably make it again. Two words of wisdom: don't skimp on the sausage and don't simmer too long. I simmered mine at the end for a bit longer than the recipe called for (not much, maybe 20 min more) and was disappointed to find the flavors to be noticeably blander than when I had tasted it immediately after combining all the ingredients.
Excellent soup! I used light smoked kielbasa. The potato kale sausage soup that appeared in Light & Tasty (now Healthy Cooking) is pretty much this same recipe (using lite kielbasa) if you want an idea on calories,etc. Easy to put together. Try this...you won't be disappointed!
This soup had such great flavor. The bay leaves really bring a nice comforting flavor to the soup. Thanks!