Sausage and Kale Soup
- 1 pound smoked kielbasa or Polish sausage, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 3 medium Yukon Gold or red potatoes, chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 bunch kale, trimmed and torn
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 carton (32 ounces) chicken broth
- 1. In a Dutch oven over medium-low heat, cook the sausage, potatoes and onions in oil for 5 minutes or until sausage is heated through, stirring occasionally. Add kale; cover and cook for 2-3 minutes or until kale is wilted. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- 2. Add the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 9-12 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Discard bay leaves.
1 cup: 187 calories, 11g fat (3g saturated fat), 22mg cholesterol, 706mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 7g protein.
Dec 15, 2019fantastic recipe. i add sriracha to give it a spicy depth. othertimes ive use chipotles in adobo sauce.
Feb 4, 2018
One of the best recipes that I've used! Always turns out great. Hot sausage makes it a little tastier if you like the spice!
Jan 26, 2018
This is a great winter soup! We used cannellini beans instead of chickpeas. We used mild sausage, but this mild soup could easily be made with spicier sausage for some heat. One of the best things is that it cooks up so quickly - making it easy to throw together in a hurry.
Dec 29, 2017
Excellent. I acquired some kale and found this recipe which we really enjoyed.
Sep 10, 2017
Great way to get people to eat and love this trendy green. The soup is fabulous, delicious, delightful, and disappears!
Jul 23, 2017
Fantastic soup! I highly recommend you try it.
Mar 6, 2016
We found this recipe to be a complete meal and what a nice way to use kale! I am not a kale fan but am trying to find ways to include it in any recipe I can because it's so healthy. This is it. I've made this a few times now and each time I use a different meat. They're all wonderful.
Nov 13, 2015
This was so good! I made a Niman Ranch kielbasa version for my husband and me, and a vegan version using Sprouts vegetable broth and extra red potato and kale for our daughter. Both were terrific. The soup was our entire meal. For the meat version, as usual I used homemade stock, which is so easy and so worth it. My slight variations based on ingredients on hand were to use a bunch of green onion plus a medium red onion. I also added half of a red bell pepper and extra mushrooms. I also started the potatoes in the microwave and finished them by sauteing for much longer than mentioned in the recipe. The result was earthy and delicious. Highly recommend!
Jul 14, 2015
My family and I love this soup. I have made it a multiple times. Every time I make it I exclude the potatoes (personal preference). Otherwise I have followed the ingredients fairly close (once using italian sausage and another time I used frozen green beans as substitutes as that was what I had on hand). All of which turned out wonderful!
Feb 16, 2015
Substitute tomatos with chile rotel...its delicious