- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 can (46 ounces) tomato juice
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Oyster crackers, optional
- In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour, curry powder and onion powder until smooth. Gradually add tomato juice and sugar. Cook, uncovered, until thickened and heated through, about 5 minutes. Serve with crackers if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Quick Tomato Soup
Sort By :
Excellent tomato soup and so easy to make. I made a few changes to my liking, fried a 10oz. package of sliced baby brown mushrooms, added a packet of chicken bouillon, 1 teaspoon of dried basil and 1/4 of cup of cooking sherry. This is a keeper in my recipes and will be making this again & again.
Jane thank you so much for sharing this recipe.
I thought this tomato soup was very flavorful but was a little heavy on curry for my liking. Next time I will try reducing the curry powder and adding some extra onion powder, which I thought was a little lost in the recipe.
This is such a simple and delicious recipe! I didn't have tomato juice on hand, so I substituted equal parts tomato sauce and water. The soup turned out fantastic.
Saw this whilst thumbing thru' an old QC annual this am - can't believe I haven't made it before. So easy, good and crazy cheap. I will be keeping a big tin of tomato juice so I can turn to this any time I have no time ! An absolute instant favourite.
I only had a quart of homemade tomato juice so added a 14 oz can of chicken broth. Tasted wonderful with an added toasted cheese sandwich. Will use this often as I have lots of homemade tomato juice.