Quick Shrimp Gumbo Recipe
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1/2 pound reduced-fat cooked kielbasa or Polish sausage, halved and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1-1/2 cups chopped green pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 3/4 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 cup uncooked Minute® White Rice
- Lemon slices, optional
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and garlic in oil for 2 minutes or until crisp-tender. Stir in sausage; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until sausage begins to brown. Add green pepper; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until crisp-tender. Stir in the tomatoes, broth, seasonings and hot pepper sauce. Bring to a boil.
- Cook, uncovered, for 2 minutes or until heated through. Stir in shrimp. Cook 3-4 minutes longer or until shrimp turn pink. Stir in rice. Remove from the heat.
- Cover and let stand for 5 minutes or until rice is tender. Discard bay leaf. Serve with lemon slices if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Quick Shrimp Gumbo(9)
Sort By :
This is bound to be a tasty recipe, but it is NOT gumbo. It only fulfills one of three criteria to be a gumbo. It does contain a version of the "trinity" - it contains garlic, onion, and green pepper. This is the least of the three requirements.The other two requirements are that it must contain a roux, which is flour browned in oil or shortening. It must also contain either okra or file' (powdered sassafras leaves). The combination of the roux and either okra or file' create the consistency required to make it a gumbo.
Usually, okra gumbo also contains tomato and file' gumbo does not contain tomato.
From there, the decision of meats and seafood are a matter of choice.
Me, I like to use extra virgin olive oil to brown the roux, parsley as opposed to the green pepper in the trinity and choose from dark meat turkey, smoked sausage, shrimp, oysters, squirrel, and crab for the critters.
Made this for the first time. I used some shredded chicken instead of the sausage and added a 1/2 cup more of chicken broth and 1/4 cup more of rice. Will make it again and use a bit more chicken broth and a little more hot pepper sauce. All in all, was a good recipe and pretty easy to make.
Very good, and easy. I used 3/4 pound of beef & cheddar kielbasa (not reduced-fat at all!) and just a few shrimp. My kids wouldn't touch it, but that's their poor taste, not the recipe's fault!
Fantastic recipe!!!!! Only two things I did different... I didnt have red pepper sauce so I used red pepper spice abut 1 tsp and some creole seasoning about 1 tsp. the spice turned out great. You could still taste the shrimp and everything! very yummy I will make this again!!:):):)
I made this last night with pasta not rice because my husband don't eat rice and it was grrreat,yes I will make it again.
More Recipe Collections
- Broth Soup Recipes >
- Cajun Dinner Recipes >
- Cajun Recipes >
- Cajun Soup Recipes >
- Diabetic Dinner Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Diabetic Soup Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Gumbo >
- Healthy Cooking Dinner Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Soup Recipes >
- Healthy Dinners >
- Healthy Main Dishes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Healthy Soup Recipes >
- Mardi Gras Dinner Recipes >
- Mardi Gras Recipes >
- Quick Dinner Recipes >
- Quick Seafood Recipes >
- Quick Shrimp Dinner Recipes >
- Rice Dinner >
- Rice Recipes >