Quick Shrimp Gumbo Recipe
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1/2 pound reduced-fat cooked kielbasa or Polish sausage, halved and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1-1/2 cups chopped green pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 3/4 pound uncooked Daily Chef Uncooked Medium Shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 cup uncooked instant rice
- Lemon slices, optional
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and garlic in oil for 2 minutes or until crisp-tender. Stir in sausage; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until sausage begins to brown. Add green pepper; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until crisp-tender. Stir in the tomatoes, broth, seasonings and hot pepper sauce. Bring to a boil.
- Cook, uncovered, for 2 minutes or until heated through. Stir in shrimp. Cook 3-4 minutes longer or until shrimp turn pink. Stir in rice. Remove from the heat.
- Cover and let stand for 5 minutes or until rice is tender. Discard bay leaf. Serve with lemon slices if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Quick Shrimp Gumbo(7)
Sort By :
Very good, and easy. I used 3/4 pound of beef & cheddar kielbasa (not reduced-fat at all!) and just a few shrimp. My kids wouldn't touch it, but that's their poor taste, not the recipe's fault!
Fantastic recipe!!!!! Only two things I did different... I didnt have red pepper sauce so I used red pepper spice abut 1 tsp and some creole seasoning about 1 tsp. the spice turned out great. You could still taste the shrimp and everything! very yummy I will make this again!!:):):)
I made this last night with pasta not rice because my husband don't eat rice and it was grrreat,yes I will make it again.
Even though this was easy, it turned out great! I added more rice the second time I made it though.
Very good recipe, I also used beef broth instead of chicken, that was tasty as well
More Recipe Collections
- Broth Soup Recipes >
- Cajun Dinner Recipes >
- Cajun Recipes >
- Cajun Soup Recipes >
- Diabetic Dinner Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Diabetic Soup Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Dinner Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Soup Recipes >
- Healthy Dinners >
- Healthy Main Dishes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Healthy Soup Recipes >
- Mardi Gras Dinner Recipes >
- Mardi Gras Recipes >
- Quick Dinner Recipes >
- Quick Seafood Recipes >
- Quick Shrimp Dinner Recipes >
- Rice Dinner >
- Rice Recipes >
- Seafood Recipes >