Potluck Sloppy Joes Recipe
- 3 pounds lean ground turkey
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1-3/4 cups ketchup
- 1 can (8 ounces) no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 12 whole wheat hamburger buns, split and toasted
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook the turkey, celery, onions and pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Stir in the ketchup, tomato sauce, flour, sugar, vinegar and mustard. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until heated through. Spoon 2/3 cup turkey mixture onto each bun.
- Or, cool turkey mixture and freeze in freezer containers for up to 3 months.
- To use frozen turkey mixture: Thaw in the refrigerator; place in a saucepan and heat through. Spoon 2/3 cup turkey mixture onto each bun. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Potluck Sloppy Joes
Sort By :
These are great for a crowd! I use ground beef instead, just a personal preference.
the kids loved it and so did my husband and he's not a sandwich eater.
Just right - not too much tomato mush - just right - husband didn't realize I was sneaking in veg and turkey
super good would make for family again
Very tasty! I made this as a potluck for friends. I cooked the meat and veggies as directed, then a that and the rest of the ingredients to my slow cooker. I substituted brown sugar for the regular sugar, with an additional tablespoon. I also added a tablespoon of chili powder for a richer color and taste, my preference. Just because I like my food with a little extra sauce I added an extra can of sauce, and a tablespoon of cornstarch/water. I cooked it on low for 4 or 5 hours. It came with rave reviews from our friends and my picky husband and toddler who all ate a lot of it.
More Recipe Collections
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Diabetic Dinner Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Diabetic Sandwich Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Ground Turkey Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Dinner Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Sandwich Recipes >
- Healthy Dinners >
- Healthy Main Dishes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Hot Sandwich Recipes >
- Kids Dinner Recipes >
- Kids Lunch Recipes >
- Low Fat Dinner Recipes & Main Dishes >
- Low Fat Recipes >