- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 3 medium)
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- COFFEE FROSTING:
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 2-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee granules
- 2 to 3 tablespoons milk
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with bananas and sour cream, beating well after each addition.
- Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- For frosting, in a small bowl, beat butter and confectioners' sugar until smooth. Dissolve coffee granules in milk; add to butter mixture and beat until smooth. Spread over cake. Yield: 12-15 servings.
Reviews for Potluck Banana Cake
Sort By :
"We love bananas, so this cake sounds good to me. One question....will the coffee granules dissolve in cold milk, or should I dissolve them in warm milk, and then cool it off before proceeding to complete the frosting?"
"Very delicious even with a canned cream cheese frosting since I had one that needed to be used."
"I have made this cake since I came across this recipe in 2014 at least 6 times - wonderful wonderful cake and my 2 granddaughters (8&10) absolutely love it with the coffee icing. The flavor they love plus I think they feel grown up with coffee ::) b great recipe"
"Great cake! Frosting is yummy!"
"Very good but tasted like banana bread with frosting."