- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 3 medium)
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- COFFEE FROSTING:
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 2-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee granules
- 2 to 3 tablespoons milk
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with bananas and sour cream, beating well after each addition.
- Pour into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- For frosting, in a small bowl, beat butter and confectioners' sugar until smooth. Dissolve coffee granules in milk; add to butter mixture and beat until smooth. Spread over cake. Yield: 12-15 servings.
Reviews for Potluck Banana Cake
"Super quick. Super easy. Super good..!!"
"I have made this cake several times. My family said this is awesome. I make the frosting different. My daughter cannot have milk. I use stick of butter, vanillA extract, powdered sugar and marshmallow fluff. Excellent. Love this cake."
"There was no liquid in this recipe and it was flat, gummy and more like a cookie after it cooked. I will never try this again. Probably needed a cup of water or milk."
"The coffee icing is what caught my attention with this cake recipe. I did not have instant coffee so I put just 1 teaspoon of regular ground coffee in the icing. This cake is light and moist. The banana and coffee flavors go great together."
"I made this cake , followed the recipe exactly. It raised nicely above the pan, but after removing it from the oven it fell . Very dense. Will not make it ever, I think something is missing. No stars for this cake."