Porcupine Meatballs Recipe
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- In a bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Add beef and mix well. shape into 1-1/2-in. balls. In a large skillet, brown meatballs in oil; drain. Combine tomato sauce, water, brown sugar and Worcestershire sauce; pour over meatballs. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Reviews for Porcupine Meatballs
Sort By :
My husband says this is a keeper! Easy to make and delicious.
I used this same recipe back in the 70's to stuff green peppers. The extra meat became smaller "porcupine meatballs". It's been years since I've made them...maybe tonight!! Thanks for the reminder. This is a great meal!
Actually I had never heard of these before I made them today. My husbands mother used to make them when he was little so I used this recipe and he loved it! Will definitely make again.
I've loved these since my grandma made them for me when I was a little girl...45 years ago! I've made them often in my life but usually make the sauce from Cream of Mushroom soup with about 1/2 can of milk or water and a couple drops of Worcestershire added. To make it even easier (and the way my grandma did it), is to not brown the meatballs. Mix the meatball ingredients, shape into meatballs and put in an even layer in a casserole dish and pour the soup mixture over. Cook at 350, covered, for 30 minutes. Remove cover and cook for 30 more minutes. Then I put them on top of mashed potatoes, spoon sauce over all and enjoy! It's fun to watch people's faces when you tell them you're serving Porcupines too ;-) Now I'm hungry for these and have to go make them for dinner.
Delicious and easy to make!
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Budget Ground Beef Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Ground Beef Meatball Recipes >
- Ground Beef Recipes >
- Meatball Recipes >
- Rice Dinner >
- Rice Recipes >