Porcupine Meatballs Recipe
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- In a bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Add beef and mix well. shape into 1-1/2-in. balls. In a large skillet, brown meatballs in oil; drain. Combine tomato sauce, water, brown sugar and Worcestershire sauce; pour over meatballs. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Reviews for Porcupine Meatballs(49)
Sort By :
Actually I had never heard of these before I made them today. My husbands mother used to make them when he was little so I used this recipe and he loved it! Will definitely make again.
I've loved these since my grandma made them for me when I was a little girl...45 years ago! I've made them often in my life but usually make the sauce from Cream of Mushroom soup with about 1/2 can of milk or water and a couple drops of Worcestershire added. To make it even easier (and the way my grandma did it), is to not brown the meatballs. Mix the meatball ingredients, shape into meatballs and put in an even layer in a casserole dish and pour the soup mixture over. Cook at 350, covered, for 30 minutes. Remove cover and cook for 30 more minutes. Then I put them on top of mashed potatoes, spoon sauce over all and enjoy! It's fun to watch people's faces when you tell them you're serving Porcupines too ;-) Now I'm hungry for these and have to go make them for dinner.
Delicious and easy to make!
I love these, I have been making them for my family for years. I use celery seed instead of salt, and when I double the recipe, I only use the 1 tsp of salt. I also bake the meatballs, drain pour the sauce over the meatballs, bake 20 minutes more.
I make these all the time for my family and they always turn out great! I like to serve them with mashed potatoes and corn.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Budget Ground Beef Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Ground Beef Meatball Recipes >
- Ground Beef Recipes >
- Meatball Recipes >
- Rice Dinner >
- Rice Recipes >