- 1 tube (18 ounces) polenta, cut into 12 slices (1/2-inch thick)
- 6 pieces Canadian bacon
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 6 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon sherry, optional
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- Heat a lightly greased griddle over medium heat. Place polenta slices and bacon on griddle; cook 2-3 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Remove and keep warm.
- Place 2-3 in. of water in a large saucepan or skillet with high sides; add vinegar. Bring to a boil; adjust heat to maintain a gentle simmer. Break cold eggs, one at a time, into a small bowl; holding the bowl close to the surface of the water, slip each egg into water. Cook, uncovered, 3-5 minutes or until whites are completely set and yolks begin to thicken but are not hard.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour and salt until smooth; gradually whisk in milk, cheeses and, if desired, sherry. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in spinach.
- For each serving, top two polenta slices with a slice of bacon and 1/4 cup sauce. Using a slotted spoon, lift egg out of water; place on sauce. Serve immediately. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Poached Eggs & Polenta in Breakfast & Brunch Bookazine 2015, p49
Reviews for Poached Eggs & Polenta
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review