Veggie-Topped Polenta Slices
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 1 tube (1 pound) polenta, cut into 12 slices
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- 2 shallots, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook polenta in 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat for 9-11 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in another large skillet, saute zucchini in remaining oil until tender. Add shallots and garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the broth, pepper and salt. Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is almost evaporated.
- Stir in the tomatoes, basil and parsley; heat through. Serve with polenta; sprinkle with cheese.
Nutrition Facts3 polenta slices with 1 cup vegetable mixture: 222 calories, 9g fat (2g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 558mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1-1/2 fat, 1 vegetable.
Nov 28, 2014
I liked this recipe a lot for the very same reasons the creator did...what you have is sort of what you can use. I cut down the sodium by substituting those new Mrs. Dash table blends for the salt (used the savory one) and I used swiss cheese instead of mozzarella. Swiss cheese has a lot less sodium. We liked it enough that I have made it more than once.
Oct 18, 2014
Our family loves this! So yummy, quick and healthy.
Sep 5, 2014
A fresh and delicious side dish full of bright flavors.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.