Polenta Chili Casserole
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min. + standing
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups yellow cornmeal
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 3 cans (15 ounces each) vegetarian chili with beans
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen mixed vegetables, thawed and well drained
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large heavy saucepan, bring water and salt to a boil. Reduce heat to a gentle boil; slowly whisk in cornmeal. Cook and stir with a wooden spoon 15-20 minutes or until polenta is thickened and pulls away cleanly from sides of pan.
- Remove from heat. Stir in 1/4 cup cheddar cheese until melted.
- Spread into a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, 20 minutes. Meanwhile, heat chili according to package directions.
- Spread vegetables over polenta; top with chili. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 12-15 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 297 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 556mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 12g fiber), 19g protein.
Dec 16, 2014
Add a dollop of sour cream on top to make it extra yummy!!! A WONDERFUL meal!!!
Feb 28, 2012
This was a SUCCESS for dinner with EVERYONE, kids and hubby! My hubby even went for seconds (doesn't happen too much since he can be pickier than the kids at times)! I used turkey chili w/ no beans and added about 1/2 cup of milk to the cornmeal mixture. Turned out great! :)
Jan 27, 2011
Very tasty meatless meal. Its important to bake the polenta until its light brown on top, or else it really is too soggy.