Polenta Chili Casserole
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min. + standing
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups yellow cornmeal
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 3 cans (15 ounces each) vegetarian chili with beans
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen mixed vegetables, thawed and well drained
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large heavy saucepan, bring water and salt to a boil. Reduce heat to a gentle boil; slowly whisk in cornmeal. Cook and stir with a wooden spoon 15-20 minutes or until polenta is thickened and pulls away cleanly from sides of pan.
- Remove from heat. Stir in 1/4 cup cheddar cheese until melted.
- Spread into a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, 20 minutes. Meanwhile, heat chili according to package directions.
- Spread vegetables over polenta; top with chili. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 12-15 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 297 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 556mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 12g fiber), 19g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 16, 2014
Add a dollop of sour cream on top to make it extra yummy!!! A WONDERFUL meal!!!
Feb 28, 2012
This was a SUCCESS for dinner with EVERYONE, kids and hubby! My hubby even went for seconds (doesn't happen too much since he can be pickier than the kids at times)! I used turkey chili w/ no beans and added about 1/2 cup of milk to the cornmeal mixture. Turned out great! :)
Jan 27, 2011
Very tasty meatless meal. Its important to bake the polenta until its light brown on top, or else it really is too soggy.