- 1-1/4 pounds red potatoes, cubed
- 10 hot dogs (1 pound), sliced
- 2 tablespoons diced onion
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- In a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish, combine the potatoes, hot dogs, onion and peas. Combine the soup, butter, mustard and pepper; gently stir into potato mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews for Penny Casserole
Sort By :
Great easy weeknight meal. My family loves it, and it doesn't break the budget.
Love this recipe. Great for potlucks. I usually double the recipe and top with a crumble of shredded cheese and dried bread crumbs. That gives it a nice crunch. Everyone always wants the recipe.
This is such a simple recipe to make, and it's fun to try different variations on the original. I like to use little smokie links instead of the hot dogs, sometimes smoked brats. Also can swap out the vegies to fit your family's liking.
One word of advice, do not overcook the potatoes unless you want it to be a soupy mashed potato mess. And I use whatever potato I have on hand, and peel them if needed.
Making for dinner tonight, instead of leftovers. May use broccoli crowns in place of peas! Yummy Casserole for sure.
This casserole is very economical. Used to make when kids were young, and still make it today.