Pear Upside-Down Cake Recipe
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 medium pears, peeled and sliced
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 package (9 ounces) yellow cake mix
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 egg
- Spread butter in an 8-in. square baking dish. Arrange pear slices in rows on top. Sprinkle with brown sugar and pecans.
- Prepare cake batter according to package directions, using the milk and egg. Pour over pears.
- Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate. Yield: 9 servings.
Reviews for Pear Upside-Down Cake(4)
Sort By :
I used a Jiffy yellow cake mix and it was divine!
Haven't made this recipe, but I think I see what the problem was for the previous reviewer: This recipe calls for a 9-ounce cake mix, which is for one layer, not the 18-ounce size that most of us usually buy. With the right size mix, the milk and egg measurements given would probably work just fine. It's too bad the recipe isn't more specific.
I find it odd that jerzeygirl70 mentioned the confusion with the directions close to a year ago, and the Taste of Home test kitchen still hasn't clarified the instructions. What a shame, my son loves pears and the picture looks like something he'd really like. I'm not willing to waste food in an attempt to figure out what should have already been cleared up.
The recipe is not clear about preparing the cake as per the package, milk and egg....so do we prepare as the box says, then add the egg and milk?in addition to the 3 eggs, oil, and water that the box calls for? or is that used in place of something in the cake mix. I made it just as the package said without the additional egg & milk, and it ended up with a bubble in the middle and the center never cooked? Some clarification is necessary.