- 4 stalks Swiss chard (about 1/2 pound)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium yellow summer squash or zucchini, halved and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 medium sweet red or yellow pepper, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked spiral pasta
- 1/4 cup prepared pesto
- Cut stems from chard; chop stems and leaves separately. Reserve leaves for adding later. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and chard stems; cook and stir 3-5 minutes or until tender. Transfer to a 6-qt. slow cooker.
- Stir in broth, tomatoes, beans, squash, pepper and carrot. Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in pasta and reserved chard leaves. Cook, covered, on low 20-25 minutes longer or until pasta is tender. Top servings with pesto. Yield: 10 servings (3-3/4 quarts).
Reviews for Over-the-Rainbow Minestrone
Sort By :
"My husband and I both loved this soup. I cooked it on the stove, bringing it to a boil, then covering and simmering on medium-low for 20 minutes. I added the pasta and chard leaves, cooking for an additional 10 minutes. The addition of pesto is brilliant."
"you look at total carbs. 15 grams equal i carb count' You have a total of 34 grams so, you have 2 carbs. if you had 43 you would count that as 3 carbs. I hope this clears it up for you, i know it is confusing, Total carbs dived by 15."
"Also try using rainbow carrots and rainbow chard if you can find them! I like to serve this with "Yellow Brick Cornbread," "Emerald City Jello" (green jello in a bundt mold,) and cherry poppy seed cake. Also, "Ruby Sipper" punch rounds out the meal, with red edible glitter rimmed glasses."
"Thanks, Crystal. This recipe is so versatile and delicious. I have made it twice already; and plan to make it many more times. I substituted carrots for the Swiss chard and used Better Than Bouillon Chicken No Chicken Bouillon instead of vegetable broth."
"Very good recipe. I sautéed celery and onions, instead of the chard stalks. Will definitely make this again."