- 7 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples (about 7 medium)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Dash salt
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 package (9 ounces) yellow cake mix
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Vanilla ice cream
- Place apples in a greased 2-1/2 qt. shallow baking dish. In a small bowl, combine the sugar, flour, cinnamon and salt; sprinkle over apples. Drizzle with water. In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, oats, butter, brown sugar, baking powder and baking soda. Sprinkle over apples.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until apples are tender and topping is golden brown. Serve warm with ice cream. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Oat Apple Crisp
"This one is a keeper! My whole family loved this apple crisp! I used honey crisp apples from my local apple orchard. They are a sweet Apple. I may cut back on sugar depending upon which type of apple I use next time. Easy to mix up and easy to bake. No fuss recipe!! I did open a 15 oz cake mix but only used approximately 9 oz. Like others have said be sure to check the size cake mix."
"I didn't notice the yellow cake mix isn't the standard size. Way too dry and powdery for topping. It would be helpful to note size of cake mix in parenthesis to draw attention to the fact it's a smaller size."
"Please make sure of the size of your cake mix. Most are 15 oz not nine. So measure out cake mix. I used the whole box was like a pile of powder. I ended up adding apple juice half way through just to add some moisture to it. Won't make this again"
"Delicious! Listened to other reviewers and cut the white sugar down to 2.5 Tablespoons...it was plenty sweet enough! I was out of "real" butter and had to use Country Crock...turned out fine. Put little pats of butter on the crust top to moisten the crunch some (like you would on a dump cake). I used a 9 X13 pan to make it in and this was easily 10 servings. Will be making it for Thanksgiving dinner this year for my guests!"
"My family just loves this apple crisp. We make it when we go camping (in cabins)"
"Amazing and delicious! I just used 2-3 TBS of sugar If you love apple crisp this desserts for you"
"Oh this is so good! Makes enough for 10 people to have a generous serving. The only thing I would change is to add more butter to the topping so it isn't quite so dry. Everyone loved it!!"
"very good. everyone liked it."
"Yum! I only used 1/2 cup of sugar and that was sweet enough. It makes a large amount and is very, very good. I served with cinnamon ice cream. Yum!"
"This is a great recipe..very simple, foolproof and delicious..i used 1/2 cup of sugar and will use even less next time..with 18 grams of sugar in the cake mix the apple flavor can be over powered with sweetness.. I'm thinking 2-3 T will be enough to enjoy the taste of the apples."