This is an original recipe that I developed 15 years ago, and I can't count how many times I've used it since. Don't wait until Thanksgiving to try it.
- 1 package (6 ounces) long grain and wild rice mix
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage, cooked and drained
- 1 package (6 ounces) seasoned stuffing cubes
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans, toasted
- 1/4 teaspoon seasoned pepper
- Poultry seasoning to taste
- Cook rice mix according to package directions; set aside.
- In a Dutch oven, saute the onion and celery in butter until tender. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Originally published as Nelda's Sausage and Rice Dressing in Country October/November 1991, p51
Reviews for Nelda's Sausage and Rice Dressing
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Sep. 10, 2011
"I make this delicious recipe for Thanksgiving every year! Everyone absolutely loves it!"
Reviewed Dec. 12, 2009
"Made this for a Church PotLuck, everyone raved about it. Will make again."