Fresh mushrooms are a surprise for the palate in this creamy spinach soup. You can make it in advance and reheat it just before serving.—Patricia Kile, Elizabethtown, Pennsylvania.
Featured In: 25 Fresh Basil Recipes
- 1 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 small onions, chopped
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- 4 cups milk
- 1 carton (32 ounces) chicken broth
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- In a large saucepan, saute mushrooms and onions in butter until tender. Stir in flour and seasonings until blended; gradually add milk and broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in spinach. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Originally published as Mushroom-Spinach Cream Soup in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2009, p88
Reviews for Mushroom-Spinach Cream Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Nov. 13, 2011
"I didn't have a variety of mushrooms on hand, just white mushrooms, so I found the soup didn't have much flavour, but we liked it enough for me to make it again. I will try different mushrooms and seasonings."