It's a snap to make this dish using baking mix. I got the idea from a similar recipe with hamburger and cheddar cheese. That version was too bland for my family, but I made a few changes, and this is a hit! —Bonnie Marlow, Ottoville, Ohio
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 3 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2-1/2 cups (10 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- 1-1/3 cups milk
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup biscuit/baking mix
- 3/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large skillet, cook the sausage, onion, red pepper and mushrooms over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Stir in 2 cups cheese. Transfer to a greased 9-in. deep-dish pie plate.
- In a small bowl, combine the milk, eggs, biscuit mix, sage and pepper. Pour over sausage mixture.
- Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Sprinkle with remaining cheese; bake 1-2 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Monterey Sausage Pie in Simple & Delicious March/April 2007, p52
Reviews for Monterey Sausage Pie
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review