- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 3 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2-1/2 cups (10 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- 1-1/3 cups milk
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup biscuit/baking mix
- 3/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large skillet, cook the sausage, onion, red pepper and mushrooms over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Stir in 2 cups cheese. Transfer to a greased 9-in. deep-dish pie plate.
- In a small bowl, combine the milk, eggs, biscuit mix, sage and pepper. Pour over sausage mixture.
- Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Sprinkle with remaining cheese; bake 1-2 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Monterey Sausage Pie
"Great-tasting and easy recipe! You can add whatever veggies you like and switch up the cheese. I added more garlic, some shredded zucchini, and mozzarella cheese. It was delicious!"
"Love this receipe. I change up the veggies and sometimes use pepperjack to spice it up. Everyone who has tried it loves it and I have given out the recipe many times. Great for a make ahead breakfast."
"very good--needed a deeper pie plate though."
"Jut happened to see ths recipe. Am very fond of sweet bulk sausage, looks very easy tomae. Delicious lookin'"
"Recipe is very tasty. I made just 1/2 of it and that was more than enough for us 2. It reheated very well the next day. It is more like a cobbler verses a pie. As all of the crust is on top. The filling bakes into the crust real well. This was a most enjoyable recipe. Next time I will make minis. This would make an excellent brunch entre.Janie"
"I love this dish."
"Left out the mushrooms as we are allergic to them. Added sweet green and yellow peppers with a bit of onion. Yummy!!!"
"I love this recipe. The only change that I made was to leave out the RED BELL PEPPER, but added chopped green chiliesYummmmm!"
"I've made this several times and it's always good... The only change I make is to leave out the mushrooms."
"Very tasty, easy recipe. Hubby and son who usually turn up their noses at peppers and mushrooms didn't have an issue with it in this dish."