- 1 boneless beef rump roast or bottom round roast (2 pounds), halved
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (2 pounds), halved
- 1 beef sirloin tip roast (1 pound)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cups water
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 envelopes Italian salad dressing mix
- 1 envelope zesty Italian salad dressing mix
- 1 envelope (0.87 ounce) brown gravy mix
- 1 to 2 tablespoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 16 hoagie buns, split
- Sliced provolone cheese, optional
- Giardiniera, optional
- In a large skillet, brown each roast in oil on all sides. Drain. Transfer meat to a 7-qt. slow cooker. Combine the water, onion, garlic, salad dressing and gravy mixes, pepper flakes, Italian seasoning and Worcestershire sauce; pour over beef. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until meat is tender.
Remove beef; cool slightly. Skim fat from cooking juices. Pour juices into a large bowl. Shred beef with two forks; add to bowl. Using a slotted spoon, place 1/2 cup on each bun. Top with cheese and giardiniera if desired.
Freeze option: Cool meat and juices;transfer to freezer containers. Freeze for up to 3 months. To use, thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Place in a Dutch oven; heat through. Using a slotted spoon, place 1/2 cup on each bun. Top with cheese and giardiniera if desired. Yield: 16 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Mom's Italian Beef Sandwiches
Sort By :
"Made this for dinner today as I did not want to cook. I made this with garlic powder instead and I only used 1 T red pepper, it was still too much for my mom and myself. I will leave it out completely next time. I will also increased the Italian seasonings and the dressings next time as there was little flavor from them. I also did not use the rolls, so we had ours on plain bread. My dad wants me to make it again for him with jalapenos, pepperchinis and possibly cheese. I have a lot left over, so it will be portioned and frozen shortly!! It will probably make another 2 meals!"
"I liked these sandwiches but I did not love them. I just feel that there is probably a better version of this recipe out there somewhere, they were missing something I can't put my finger on. I probably won't make them again but I definitely didn't hate them. Sorry I can't be more specific than that lol"
"This is definitely a keeper!! I halved the recipe since I was trying it for the first time. Cut all ingredients in half and cooked it for 6 hours in the crock pot. My boyfriend is usually not a fan of chuck roasts, but he loved this recipe. I just made it yesterday and he asked if I can make it again next weekend! It was delicious."
"In general, I feel that most slow cooker recipes are either bland or they all taste the same. THIS RECIPE PROVED ME WRONG! Couldn't get enough of this one. Not only were people getting seconds, but thirds! Unbelievably delicious. This one's definitely a KEEPER!!!"
"Does anyone know, if I cut the recipe in half, would I still cook it for the same amount of time? It sounds wonderful, but my crockpot is not that big? Thanks for any help."