- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup water
- 2/3 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/3 cup sliced ripe olives
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a large skillet coated with cooking spray, cook turkey, onions and pepper over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender, breaking up turkey into crumbles. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Stir in beans, tomatoes, water, rice, olives, chili powder and salt.
- Transfer to an 11x7-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake, covered, 50-55 minutes or until rice is tender. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake, uncovered, 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Mexicali Casserole
Sort By :
"I hate when people change up a recipe so much. I used 5 min. rice and did use water too. It was really great as is."
"Great recipe! I added a few chili cheese fritos on top and sliced avocado on the side to spice it up a bitWill make it again!"
"I made this with diced rotisserie chicken from the local grocery store and added about half a packet of taco seasoning and the hubby loved it! The whole house smelled like a Mexican fiesta! Next time I think I will skip the rice altogether and add more vegie to get the calorie count even lower! There's so much you can do with this recipe! IT's awesome!"
"Overall this recipe was good and I will make it again but with a few changes. I think the rice could have been more moist and fluffy so I am going to try instant rice to see if that helps. I also thought it was a little dry. So I made try adding a cup or two of salsa to the mix. As far as this being a light and easy recipe to make, it was and that made it great for me to put together for a big family dinner."
"Awesome dish! I cooked the rice first. I used diced tomatoes with green Chili's. My husband and I loved it!"