- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup water
- 2/3 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/3 cup sliced ripe olives
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a large skillet coated with cooking spray, cook turkey, onions and pepper over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender, breaking up turkey into crumbles. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Stir in beans, tomatoes, water, rice, olives, chili powder and salt.
- Transfer to an 11x7-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake, covered, 50-55 minutes or until rice is tender. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake, uncovered, 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Mexicali Casserole
Sort By :
"Im concerned about the high sodium, 508 is way too much, with my diabetes and high blood pressure, I need to cut back, any ideas? I would appreciate. I know 1/2 tsp of salt shouldn't bring it up that high, I don't use any kind of salt anyways."
"This was so yummy and easy to make! I made just a few changes based on other reviews. First, I used ground chicken that I got on sale instead of ground turkey. Because others said the rice didn't cook through, I used 1 bag of Success boil-in-the-bag brown rice and cooked it before adding it to the mixture in the skillet. Because I pre-cooked the rice, I omitted the cup of water entirely. I also added a little extra chili powder and some taco seasoning to taste before I put it in the oven. Because everything was pre-cooked, it wasn't necessary to bake it for a long time, only to melt the cheese, so I baked it uncovered in the oven for just 10 minutes. It was awesome! It was flavorful without being too spicy for kids, and that was great. I will definitely be making it again!"
"This is a great base recipe - I substituted ground beef and black beans. Only thing I would suggest is it needs a bit more spice - perhaps more chili powder."
"I love it! I've made this recipe a couple of times, but to speed up the process a bit, I do it all in a large pan on the stovetop and boil the rice separately. It seems to become tastier the longer it "rests" after cooking."
"Rice did not cook in 55 min at 375. Instructions need editing. I will spice it up and add taco seasoning."