- 6 large egg whites
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- LEMON CURD:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons potato starch
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon lemon juice, divided
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- Whipped topping and fresh berries, optional
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 225°. Add vinegar, vanilla, salt and cream of tartar to egg whites; beat on medium speed until foamy. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high after each addition until sugar is dissolved. Continue beating until stiff glossy peaks form.
- Cut a small hole in the tip of a pastry bag or in a corner of a food-safe plastic bag; insert a large star tip. Transfer meringue to bag. On a parchment paper-lined baking sheet, pipe meringue into twelve 3-in. round disks, building up the sides with meringue to form shells. Bake 45-50 minutes or until set and dry. Turn off oven (do not open door); leave meringues in oven 1 hour. Remove from oven; cool completely on baking sheet.
- Meanwhile, in a small heavy saucepan, mix sugar and potato starch. Whisk in water and 1/2 cup lemon juice until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to low; cook and stir 2 minutes longer.
- Remove from heat. Stir a small amount of hot mixture into eggs; return all to pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Gently stir in lemon peel and remaining lemon juice. Transfer to a small bowl; cool without stirring. Refrigerate, covered, until cold.
- Spoon 1/4 cup curd into each meringue shell. If desired, top with whipped topping and berries. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Meringue Shells with Lemon Curd in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2015, p44
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Meringue Shells with Lemon Curd
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review