- 14 uncooked manicotti shells
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 3/4 pound ground beef
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, cubed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups meatless spaghetti sauce, divided
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook manicotti shells according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook sausage and beef over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Remove from the heat. Cool for 10 minutes.
- Drain shells and rinse in cold water. Stir the mozzarella cheese, cream cheese and salt into meat mixture. Spread 2 cups spaghetti sauce in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish.
- Stuff each shell with about 1/4 cup meat mixture; arrange over sauce. Pour remaining sauce over top. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
Cover and bake at 350° for 40 minutes. Uncover; bake 5-10 minutes longer or until bubbly and heated through.
Freeze option: Cover and freeze unbaked casserole. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake casserole as directed, increasing time as necessary to heat through and for a thermometer inserted in center to read 165°. Yield: 7 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Meaty Manicotti
"Very good! My husband liked this a lot too. Great for 2 people. I divided into three small pans. We enjoyed one pan for dinner and I have two meals ready to go in the freezer!"
"Easy and delicious."
"One big step saver, I do not boil the noodles. Follow the directions, add 1 cup of water to dish, cover and bake."
"This is a good crowd-pleasing recipe. It is very cheesy and the cream cheese in the mixture is a nice touch. I made the recipe exactly as written as I am a true believer in not being critical of a recipe until you try it as written. However, since I'm not a huge fan of prepared spaghetti sauce I think a homemade tomato sauce would send this recipe over the top (if you have time to prepare it). Having said that - the recipe is very nice the way it is."
"This recipe was fantastic. I will make this again soon. Easy and delicious!"