Beef Stuffed Manicotti with Basil Tomato Sauce
Total TimePrep: 55 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 cups water
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) tomato paste
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 6 tablespoons minced fresh parsley, divided
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 3 cups ricotta cheese
- 1-1/4 cups grated Romano or Parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 8 large manicotti shells, cooked and drained
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the water, tomato paste, onion, 2 tablespoons parsley, basil, garlic, 1-1/2 teaspoons salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, combine the ricotta cheese, 3/4 cup Romano cheese, eggs and remaining parsley, salt and pepper. Stuff into manicotti shells.
- Pour half of the meat sauce into a greased 11x7-in. baking dish. Arrange shells over sauce. Top with sauce; sprinkle with remaining Romano cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 813 calories, 43g fat (25g saturated fat), 274mg cholesterol, 2075mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 5g fiber), 66g protein.
Jun 10, 2010
I wouldn't make this again because it's easier to make lasagna. It was good though.
Apr 19, 2010
This dish is absolutely AMAZING! It has become a monthly staple in our menu. It is so easy and DELICIOUS!
Dec 6, 2009
This tasted very wonderful. I also added a little mozzarella cheese to the top.