Beef Stuffed Manicotti with Basil Tomato Sauce
Total TimePrep: 55 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 cups water
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) tomato paste
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 6 tablespoons minced fresh parsley, divided
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 3 cups ricotta cheese
- 1-1/4 cups grated Romano or Parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 8 large manicotti shells, cooked and drained
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the water, tomato paste, onion, 2 tablespoons parsley, basil, garlic, 1-1/2 teaspoons salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, combine the ricotta cheese, 3/4 cup Romano cheese, eggs and remaining parsley, salt and pepper. Stuff into manicotti shells.
- Pour half of the meat sauce into a greased 11x7-in. baking dish. Arrange shells over sauce. Top with sauce; sprinkle with remaining Romano cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 813 calories, 43g fat (25g saturated fat), 274mg cholesterol, 2075mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 5g fiber), 66g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jun 10, 2010
I wouldn't make this again because it's easier to make lasagna. It was good though.
Apr 19, 2010
This dish is absolutely AMAZING! It has become a monthly staple in our menu. It is so easy and DELICIOUS!
Dec 6, 2009
This tasted very wonderful. I also added a little mozzarella cheese to the top.