Total TimePrep: 70 min. Bake: 40 min.
- CREPE NOODLES:
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 pounds ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Romano cheese
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley or 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 jar (26 ounces) meatless spaghetti sauce
- Grated Romano cheese, optional
- Place flour in a bowl; whisk in milk, eggs and salt until smooth. Heat a lightly greased 8-in. skillet; pour about 2 tablespoons batter into center of skillet. Spread into a 5-in. circle. Cook over medium heat until set; do not brown or turn. Repeat with remaining batter, making 18 crepes. Stack crepes with waxed paper in between; set aside.
- For filling, combine cheeses, egg and parsley. Spoon 3-4 tablespoons down the center of each crepe; roll up. Pour half of the spaghetti sauce into an ungreased 13x9-in. baking dish. Place crepes, seam side down, over sauce; pour remaining sauce over top.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake 20 minutes longer or until heated through. Sprinkle with Romano cheese if desired.
Nutrition Facts3 each: 480 calories, 22g fat (11g saturated fat), 201mg cholesterol, 1128mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 3g fiber), 27g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 2, 2018
These are delicious! Never made homemade crepes before but they were easier to make than I thought and so much better than the store bought.
Nov 2, 2018
This is a recipe for "Crespelle" which are paper-thin pancakes, the Italian equivalent of France's crêpes, and like the French version, they can be either sweet or savory. The sweet version, which can be served with the topping or filling of your choice: Nutella, dark melted chocolate, fresh fruit such as strawberries or bananas,...whatever you would like...To make this a savory version, you can use any number of fillings; a common one is spinach-and-ricotta, the same filling that would be used in spinach-and-ricotta lasagne or spinach-and-ricotta cannelloni.... the dish now has a certain aura of elegance to it, in the past crespelle were considered poor people's food.
Jul 23, 2017
this is an excellent recipe. I use 1/4 cup of crepe batter. I also use half ricotta and half cottage cheese which I whir in a food processor. It just seems to make the filling creamier.
Jan 19, 2016
I love manicotti it's my second favorite Italian food. I had it with the store bought shell's now I want to make the home made ones. I bet it would taste even better. Thank you for having the recipe for the shell's.
Aug 27, 2015
Very good! The kids and I loved it. My only complaint was that the batter for the 'noodles' was kind of thick and I had difficulty getting it to make thin noodles. Maybe I measured something incorrectly. Update: made it again last night and had no trouble with the noodles at all! The little ones loved it, my picky 3 year old even licked his plate!
Jul 1, 2014
I was worried that making the crepes would be a pain, but they cooked so fast that it was no problem. Much less of a pain than having to roll out pasta dough! The batter did seem a little thick because I expected it to be more like making crepes, I was tempted to thin it but I didn't and they turned out perfectly. I added bacon, sauteed mushrooms, and lemon thyme to my ricotta mixture. Delicious!!
May 15, 2014
This recipe is so reminiscent of my great Aunt's manicotti.. watching her & my mom standing over a griddle making the noodle crepes .I had not made them in years but enjoyed teaching my daughter how to do so..not only a great recipe but a wonderful walk down memory lane for me!
Jan 25, 2014
These were very good and easy to make.
Dec 21, 2013
I made this and didn't change a thing. Fantastic Mannicott's. I will never buy the store bought noodles. Do make your own sauce and make the crepes a day before. It is time consuming to make all of this in one day. Delishio. -:)
Dec 19, 2013
I've been making homemade manicotti for a few years now. I always add a pinch of fresh grated nutmeg to the ricotta mix. It enhances the cheese soooo much. Annnd if you have gone to all the trouble to make your own crepes please do not cover it with jar sauce.