Chicken Manicotti with White Sauce
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 can (8 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 14 manicotti shells, cooked and drained
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 3 cups shredded Monterey Jack or cheddar cheese
- 4 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese until fluffy. Beat in the sour cream, parsley, salt and pepper until blended. Stir in chicken. In a small skillet, cook onion and mushrooms in butter until tender; add to chicken mixture. Stuff into manicotti shells.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour and salt until smooth. Gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in 2-1/2 cups Monterey Jack cheese and 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese just until melted.
- Spread about 1/2 cup cheese sauce in each of two greased 11x7-in. dishes. Top with stuffed shells and remaining sauce.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 25 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining cheeses. Bake 10-15 minutes longer or until bubbly and cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 761 calories, 44g fat (27g saturated fat), 190mg cholesterol, 962mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 2g fiber), 49g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 8, 2017
First time it was made it was tasteless second time I added herdez green Verde sauce and it tasted wonderful making it for dinner tonight
Nov 1, 2016
I made this tonight. As I was ready to prepare, I realized I didn't have the manicotti noodles as I had thought! I did have lasagna noodles though. I decided to make it as a lasagna instead. I didn't add the cheese to the sauce: I layered noodles, filling, sauce, cheese. I added a bit of garlic powder to the sauce. My fianc? raved about this!
Jan 5, 2012
I made this recipe about 2 years ago for a friend who was visiting. She was visiting me over the holidays and when I asked what she would like for dinner. To my surprise she requested this meal from 2 years ago!!! Every one love it. I also add onions and green peppers to the dish. They add a nice flavor. I recommend it for a large group. It easy and you can make it ahead of time.
Nov 9, 2011
For those of you say the prep time is to long. I watched the video on easy prep of the stuffed shells, cook them, slice them open with shears and lay flat and fill, roll up and place in dish seam side down.. SOOOOO EASY!!
Nov 6, 2011
I have made this several times. The prep time is MUCH longer than indicated, but the taste is great! Sometimes I use fresh mushrooms instead of canned.
Mar 16, 2011
I hate to say I was really excited about making this dish. I spent two and a half hours making it, to have my husband say it was tasteless! Even my kids were only polite because they saw how long I spent on it. I had even add extra seasoning to the meat. So while it did not taste awful it was not worth all the work.
Sep 18, 2010
This is a huge favorite with my family. Prep time is a little longer.
Feb 16, 2010
I love this recipe. It's great to freeze as well.