Just thinking about this soup simmering on the stove gets me hungry! The homemade meatballs are so tasty. —Esther Perea, Van Nuys, California
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) kidney beans with liquid
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1/4 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- In a large bowl, combine the beef, egg, onion, crumbs, salt and pepper. Shape into 1-in. balls.
- In large saucepan, brown meatballs on all sides until no longer pink. Drain. Add remaining ingredients except macaroni and parsley; cover and simmer 20 minutes. Add macaroni; simmer 10 minutes or until tender. Stir in parsley.
- If Cooking for Two: Freeze serving-size portions to enjoy later. 8 servings, 1 cup per serving. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Originally published as Meatball Minestrone in Reminisce September/October 1991, p33
Reviews for Meatball Minestrone
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review