Marble Chiffon Cake Recipe
- 7 eggs, separated
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1-3/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 7 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- Let eggs stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. In a small saucepan, melt unsweetened chocolate over low heat. Add 1/4 cup sugar and hot water; mix well and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda and remaining sugar. Whisk together the egg yolks, water, oil and vanilla; add to flour mixture and beat until moistened. Beat for 3 minutes on medium speed; set aside.
- In another large bowl and with clean beaters, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on high speed until stiff peaks form. Fold a fourth of egg whites into the batter, then fold in remaining whites. Divide batter in half; gradually fold chocolate mixture into one portion.
- Alternately spoon the plain and chocolate batters into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Swirl with a knife. Bake on the lowest rack at 325° for 60-65 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched. Immediately invert cake; cool completely. Run a knife around sides and center tube of pan; remove cake to serving plate.
- For frosting, melt semisweet chocolate and butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Stir in cream and vanilla. Remove from the heat; whisk in confectioners' sugar until smooth. Immediately spoon over cake. Yield: 16 servings.
Reviews for Marble Chiffon Cake
Sort By :
This is as close to the marble chiffon cake I used to get in a. NY bakery as I have found. I accidentally put more vanilla than stated so I counteracted it with about a tablespoon of fresh grated orange peel. Other than that, I followed the recipe exactly. Will probably add some grated orang peel in the future as well. I spread the icing all over the cake. Absolutely delicious !
This is a favorite for everyone I have made it for. I have a feeling this will continue to be my special-occasion, go-to cake recipe for years to come.
Well, I followed the recipe, I thought to a tee. My cake came out as a light cocoa swirled angel cake. The frosting was perfect however. Help! What did I do wrong? Cranberrylane