- 2 tablespoons active dry yeast
- 2 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 2-1/2 to 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add egg, oil, syrup, salt, whole wheat flour and 1 cup all-purpose flour. Beat on medium speed until smooth. Stir in enough remaining all-purpose flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Shape into loaves. Place in three greased 8x4-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until nearly doubled, about 40 minutes. Bake at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Brush with melted butter. Yield: 3 loaves (12 slices each).
Reviews for Maple Wheat Bread
Sort By :
Wonderful flavor! I did have to bake it a little longer than recommended.
This bread is amazing! So soft and flavorful. The crust is wonderful!!! Rises quickly and bakes up beautifully!!! :o)
I would have given 6 stars, if that was an option. This is the most tender bread I have ever made!!!!! I mixed the dough in my KitchenAid stand mixer. The dough hook did a fine job. I put hot water in the mixing bowl first and let stand for a minute to warm up the bowl. I dumped out that water, then added the correct amount of water at the right temperature. I made one 8 x 4 sized loaf and five 3 x 51/2 sized loaves. I baked them all at the same time for about 25 minutes. Will certainly make again!!!
I've made this 3 times now and my husband insists that I make it again. I made it in small pans, bake and freeze, then take out as needed.
Excellent. I made the recipe as is except that I made it with the help of my Professional KitchenAide mixer, it came together real nice and the KitchenAide does a great job of kneading dough. This is definitely one recipe I will make often.
More Recipe Collections
- Bread Baking >
- Bread Recipes >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Comfort Food Bread Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Vegetarian Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Sodium Recipes >
- New Year's Recipes >
- Potluck Recipes >