- 2 cups ketchup
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 pounds assorted bone-in chicken pieces
- In a large saucepan, combine the first 11 ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Remove half of the sauce; reserve for brushing chicken. Keep remaining sauce warm for serving.
- Grill chicken, covered, over medium heat 25-35 minutes or until juices run clear, turning occasionally and brushing with reserved sauce during the last 10 minutes. Serve with remaining sauce. Yield: 12 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Lip-Smackin' BBQ Chicken
"I was not a big fan of this sauce. I do love tangy and sweet, but I think the cumin ruined it for me and it was a little too sweet and not enough tang. I've had better homemade BBQ sauces so I won't be making this one again."
"I LOVE LOVE LOVE vinegary sauces that cut the sweet and this is PERFECT! the sauce recipe makes a TON (which is probably why it calls for 6 lbs of chicken) so you may want to cut it in half, or make it all and store for other things (which is what I did). I was skeptical that there weren't other spices in the sauce (chili powder, garlic, onion etc.) but it definitely DID NOT need it!! YUM!"