“I'm always looking for a great new cookie or bar to try, but I often return to this tried-and-true recipe,” says Anna Miller of Quaker City, Ohio. “My husband loves the combination of sweet and salty!”
- 1 package lemon cake mix (regular size)
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 egg
- 2 cups crushed saltines (about 60 crackers)
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- In a large bowl, beat the cake mix, butter and egg until crumbly. Stir in cracker crumbs; set aside 2 cups for topping.
- Press remaining mixture into a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 18-20 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg yolks, milk and lemon juice. Pour over crust; sprinkle with reserved topping. Bake 20-25 minutes longer or until edges are lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Lemon Crumb Bars in Simple & Delicious July/August 2007, p16
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Lemon Crumb Bars
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review