Lemon Crumb Bars Recipe
- 1 package lemon cake mix (regular size)
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 Eggland's Best Egg
- 2 cups crushed saltines (about 60 crackers)
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- In a large bowl, beat the cake mix, butter and egg until crumbly. Stir in cracker crumbs; set aside 2 cups for topping.
- Press remaining mixture into a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 18-20 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg yolks, milk and lemon juice. Pour over crust; sprinkle with reserved topping. Bake 20-25 minutes longer or until edges are lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 2 dozen.
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Lemon Crumb Bars(32)
Sort By :
I doubled the filling and only used one sleeve of crackers which did equal two cups of crushed crackers. I was sorely disappointed in the overall flavor of this recipe. It was ok. But I want great! Very mild lemon flavor and even with doubling the filling, it was still lean on the filling! So I won't be making this again.
i'm re-posting here, after reading other posts below.i made these bars, so maybe i can help clear up any recipe direction confusion.
basically, you mix the dry ingredients with the butter to make crumbly mixture. set aside 2 cups for the topping. the remainder gets pressed into the bottom of the greased 13*9 pan for the crust, or the bottom of the bar. bake it. meantime, mix your wet ingredients. pour wet ingredient mixture over crust.(this will be the middle of your bar). Sprinkle the 2 cups of dry crumbly mix you reserved earlier over the wet layer and bake it again.
if you didn't taste enough lemon, try the suggestion i saw below about waiting till the next day.
it's not just crackers on the top. it's a crumbly version of the crust.
they should taste sweet and salty.
hope this helps someone.
i freaking love these bars! the combination of salty and sweet is so good! i made them a couple of weeks ago and my mouth wants more! (my@$$? not so much!haha)
Made this on request.. The person I made them for thought they were good but I would not make them again. Too much crumb/crust and not enough filling at all, and I even used less crackers then called for.
This Bar is all crumb and very little lemon. I''m very disappointed. The picture must have used double the filling.
More Recipe Collections
- Bar Recipes >
- Desserts >
- Diabetic Desserts >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Father's Day Desserts >
- Father's Day Recipes >
- July 4th Desserts >
- July 4th Recipes >
- Labor Day Desserts >
- Labor Day Recipes >
- Lemon Bars >
- Low Fat Dessert Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Memorial Day Desserts >
- Memorial Day Recipes >
- Potluck Desserts >