Apple Crumb Bars
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1-1/4 cups cold butter, divided
- 5 to 6 cups thinly sliced peeled apples
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, oats, brown sugar and baking soda; cut in 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Set aside 2 cups for topping. Press remaining crumbs into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Arrange apples over top; set aside.
- In a saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch, water, vanilla and remaining butter. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thick and bubbly; spread over apples. Sprinkle with reserved crumbs.
- Bake at 350° for 35-45 minutes or until top is lightly browned.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 174 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 17mg cholesterol, 94mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Sep 30, 2017
This recipe was great! However, next time I will make a few adjustments based on personal taste. I found the crumble topping a little dry and would either cut the flour or add more butter. Also, the sugar-water-cornstarch mixture was very thick so I would add less cornstarch if you want it less goopy (it came out thicker than the consistency you get in a can of apple pie filling). Lastly, instead of drizzling the mixture over the apples I would stir it into the apples, since some chunks of apple did not get coated, causing them to dry out after baking. I also added about a half tsp of cinnamon to the water mixture. But overall, this turned out great and I will definitely be making it again!
May 14, 2015
This is awesome!! Will be making it again!!!
Feb 13, 2015
This is absolutely delicious!! I followed the recipe exactly, and they came out perfect . This is my new go to desert !
Jan 25, 2015
I made these last week in the 13x9 pan and my husband ate 3/4 of them in 2 days! I will add a 1 tbsp. More of butter to the crumb mixture to cut in since it was slightly dry. The best apple bar recipe I have ever made by far.
Sep 17, 2013
I haven't had this one but i will try it love the name
Mar 20, 2012
I made these bars last week and my husband is already asking me to make them again. I did add 1 1/2 tsp of cinnamon to the recipe though. The bars are awesome.
Oct 23, 2011
This is a great fall dessert when you have family over for dinner. Have made it a few times.Everyone loved it.
Jun 22, 2011
I followed the directions, using a full 6 cups of apples, and it was AMAZING! Is delicious warm or cold, with or without vanilla ice cream. I'm about to make it again right now!