Apple Crumb Bars
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1-1/4 cups cold butter, divided
- 5 to 6 cups thinly sliced peeled apples
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, oats, brown sugar and baking soda; cut in 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Set aside 2 cups for topping. Press remaining crumbs into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Arrange apples over top; set aside.
- In a saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch, water, vanilla and remaining butter. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thick and bubbly; spread over apples. Sprinkle with reserved crumbs.
- Bake at 350° for 35-45 minutes or until top is lightly browned.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 174 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 17mg cholesterol, 94mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Sep 30, 2017
This recipe was great! However, next time I will make a few adjustments based on personal taste. I found the crumble topping a little dry and would either cut the flour or add more butter. Also, the sugar-water-cornstarch mixture was very thick so I would add less cornstarch if you want it less goopy (it came out thicker than the consistency you get in a can of apple pie filling). Lastly, instead of drizzling the mixture over the apples I would stir it into the apples, since some chunks of apple did not get coated, causing them to dry out after baking. I also added about a half tsp of cinnamon to the water mixture. But overall, this turned out great and I will definitely be making it again!
May 14, 2015
This is awesome!! Will be making it again!!!
Feb 13, 2015
This is absolutely delicious!! I followed the recipe exactly, and they came out perfect . This is my new go to desert !
Jan 25, 2015
I made these last week in the 13x9 pan and my husband ate 3/4 of them in 2 days! I will add a 1 tbsp. More of butter to the crumb mixture to cut in since it was slightly dry. The best apple bar recipe I have ever made by far.
Sep 17, 2013
I haven't had this one but i will try it love the name
Mar 20, 2012
I made these bars last week and my husband is already asking me to make them again. I did add 1 1/2 tsp of cinnamon to the recipe though. The bars are awesome.
Oct 23, 2011
This is a great fall dessert when you have family over for dinner. Have made it a few times.Everyone loved it.
Jun 22, 2011
I followed the directions, using a full 6 cups of apples, and it was AMAZING! Is delicious warm or cold, with or without vanilla ice cream. I'm about to make it again right now!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.