- 2 unsliced loaves (1 pound each) Italian bread
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning, divided
- 1/2 pound deli roast beef
- 12 slices Galbani® Part Skim Mozzarella Cheese (1 ounce each)
- 16 fresh basil leaves
- 3 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1/4 pound thinly sliced salami
- 1 jar (6-1/2 ounces) marinated artichoke hearts, drained and sliced
- 1 package (10 ounces) ready-to-serve salad greens
- 8 ounces thinly sliced deli chicken
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Cut loaves in half horizontally; hollow out tops and bottoms, leaving 1/2-in. shells (discard removed bread or save for another use).
- Combine oil and garlic; brush inside bread shells. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning. Layer bottom of each loaf with a fourth of the roast beef, mozzarella, basil, tomatoes, salami, artichokes, salad greens, chicken and onion. Repeat layers. Season with salt, pepper and remaining Italian seasoning.
- Drizzle with remaining oil mixture if desired. Replace bread tops; wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Refrigerate at least 1 hour before slicing. Yield: 2 loaves (12 servings each).
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Layered Picnic Loaves
Sort By :
"Most requested sandwich! Thanks for the recipe!"
"I made this recipe recently and both my husband and I declare it a winner. I did have to cut the recipe down for the two of us but it was delicious. We will definitely be having this sandwich again. I followed the recipe exactly except for the size. Definitely a winner. I highly recommend this recipe as a Volunteer Field Editor."
"Yum! Used Turkey because that's what I had; Penzey's sandwich sprinkle instead of salt and pepper."
"Fantastic - I love this sandwich! Feeds a crowd and best of all it is one of the rare sandwiches that is not loaded with mayo."