Dainty and delicious, these elegant, finger-sandwich treats were whipped up by our Test Kitchen home economists and make the perfect finish to any spring or ladies’ luncheon. Guests will be licking the sugar off their fingers and asking for seconds, so have plenty on hand!
Featured In: 28 Easy No-Bake Summer Desserts
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Sugar substitute equivalent to 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2-3/4 cups 2% milk, divided
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) ladyfingers, split
- 2 teaspoons coarse sugar
- In a small saucepan, combine the flour, sugar, sugar substitute, salt and 2-1/2 cups milk until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat.
- In a small bowl, whisk 2 eggs. Stir a small amount of hot filling into eggs; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Gently stir in vanilla. Transfer to a bowl; press plastic wrap onto surface of custard. Refrigerate until chilled.
- Place tops of ladyfingers on an ungreased baking sheet. In a small bowl, whisk remaining egg and milk; lightly brush over ladyfingers. Sprinkle with coarse sugar. Broil 4 in. from the heat for 1-2 minutes or until golden brown.
- Spread custard over the bottoms of ladyfingers. Replace tops. Serve immediately. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Ladyfinger Cream Sandwiches in Light & Tasty April/May 2006, p30
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Ladyfinger Cream Sandwiches
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review