- 2 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- Black paste food coloring
- 1/2 teaspoon minced chives
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/8 teaspoon minced fresh parsley
- 36 butter-flavored crackers
- 18 cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 18 large pitted ripe olives
- 72 fresh chive pieces (about 1-1/2 inches long)
- In a small bowl, beat cream cheese and sour cream until smooth. Remove 1 tablespoon to a small bowl and tint black. Place tinted cream cheese mixture in a small plastic bag; set aside.
- Add the chives, garlic salt and parsley to the remaining cream cheese mixture. Spread over crackers. Arrange two tomato quarters on each for the ladybug wings.
- For heads, halve the olives widthwise; place one half on each cracker. Insert two chives into olives for antennae. Use tinted cream cheese mixture to pipe spots onto wings. Yield: 3 dozen.
Reviews for Ladybug Appetizers
"My Pastor's wife's name is June, the pastor calls her his June bug, she loves lady bugs so for her birthday I'm making these adorable little lady bugs as a gift for her. I think they will be a big hit, and she'll love them."
"I can't wait to try this!"
"Made these x 2 recently, BIG hit! Helpful hints: black dots: I used a little tube black cake decorating gel for the dots; put 3 little dots on top of ROOM TEMP tomatoes. I have assembled these with crackers about 1.5 hrs ahead of time, refrigerate them & cracker was still crisp. I also used sliced cucumber, placing slices on paper towel to absorb some moisture while assembling. Filling: added a little more garlic salt & chives to zip it up. Enjoy!"
"Re the soggy cracker issue: I am going to try a basil leaf or sliver of lettuce next time. The basil should add a nice flavor. Maybe just a small dot of cream cheese mix to hold it in place and then assemble as per recipe."
"Really good....I just substituted the black paste dots with chocolate syrup.....tasted amazing!"