- 1 cup warm 2% milk (70° to 80°)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- EGG WASH:
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- Italian seasoning, optional
- In bread machine pan, place the first seven ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select dough setting (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water or flour if needed).
- When the cycle is completed, turn dough onto a floured surface. Divide in half. Shape each portion into a ball; flatten slightly. Place in two greased 9-in. round baking pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Beat egg and water; brush over the dough. Sprinkle with Italian seasoning if desired.Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).
Reviews for Italian Sweet Bread
Sort By :
"Can this bread be made by hand? I don't use a bread maker."
"This is one of my family's favorite bread machine recipes. I follow the recipe as written, but always add a bit of kosher salt to the Italian seasoning that I sprinkle on top before baking. This gives it a salty-sweet taste that we really enjoy. For those having issues with the recipe, it may help to use whole milk or a mix of half-and-half and milk. I've done this and noticed that the bread is a bit more dense. Thanks for a great recipe!"
"My whole family loves this recipe, I make it both as oven baked long loaves as well as using my bread machine to cook it. I use it for sandwiches, garlic toast, French toast, as well as for dips & soup as well-it's delicious in every way!!"
"Love this! I noticed some people have had problems with this recipe. I can tell you mine comes out perfectly every time, but I don't use a bread machine so maybe that's the difference. This bread freezes very well, too."
"I have been making this bread for a few years now and we love it! I use regular bread loaf pans instead of the round pans and it turns out perfect every time!"