- 1 pound Johnsonville® Mild Ground Italian Sausage
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- 4 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup medium pearl barley
- 1 large carrot, sliced
- 1 celery rib, sliced
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh sage
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary or 1/8 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 6 cups chopped fresh kale
- In a Dutch oven, cook sausage and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain.
- Stir in the broth, beans, tomatoes, barley, carrot, celery, sage and rosemary. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Stir in kale; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Yield: 8 servings (3 quarts).
Reviews for Italian Sausage Bean Soup
Sort By :
"I used 1/2 spicy & 1/2 mild Italian sausage, a variety of canned beans (white & red kidney & black beans), and fresh garden tomatoes. This might be the best soup I've ever eaten! It will definitely be one recipe I'll return to time and again."
"Easy and very yummy."
Very hearty and flavorful. I like the way the barley absorbs some of the broth. I used turkey Italian sausage - less fat but same flavor. Used spinach rather than kale. Delish!"
"EAsy to make, healthy & really delicious. Will make this a regular."
"I found this recipe a week ago and have made it 3x's in double batches. My husbands band was over practicing and they cleaned me out with the first batch. This is the most incredible soup I have ever made. I can't keep this soup in my fridge. I do add more broth. Enjoy"