Italian Peasant Soup Recipe
- 1 pound Italian sausage links, casings removed and cut into 1-inch slices
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 6 cups fresh spinach leaves, chopped
- Shredded Parmesan cheese, optional
- In a Dutch oven, cook sausage and onions over medium heat until no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Add chicken; cook and stir until no longer pink.
- Stir in the beans, broth, tomatoes, basil and oregano. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Add the spinach and heat just until wilted. Serve with cheese if desired. Yield: 11 servings (2-3/4 quarts).
Reviews for Italian Peasant Soup(12)
Sort By :
Wife and daughter LOVED this soup. I did add 32 oz of chicken broth, 2 bouillon cubes, about 1 1/2 lbs of chicken breasts and 6 FULL cups of fresh spinach. A keeper!
Wife and daughter loved it. A keeper. Will make again on another cold winters day. I did add extra chicken broth (32 oz) and was a little heavier on the spinach, plus 2 cubes of chick broth.
Wow, my family loved this! If I could give it 10 stars I would. Easy to half since there's only three of us with leftovers for lunch the next day. Have passed this recipe on to several coworkers also
This is one of our favorite soups. I do use the ground Italian turkey sausage instead for a healthier version. I think it is a very attractive soup to serve with all the various colors.
Enjoyed it very much!
More Recipe Collections
- Boneless Chicken Recipes >
- Broth Soup Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Chicken Breast Recipes >
- Chicken Recipes >
- Grand Prize Winning Recipes >
- Italian Recipes >
- Italian Soup >
- Italian Soups >
- Quick Chicken Dinner Recipes >
- Simple Quick Recipes >
- Simple Soup Recipes >