My family has been making these delicate fruit-filled Christmas cookies for generations. Light and flaky, they have the look of elegant pastry.
- 1 cup cold butter, cubed
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups vanilla ice cream, softened
- 1 can (12 ounces) cherry cake and pastry filling
- In a large bowl, cut butter into flour until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in ice cream. Divide into four portions. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion to 1/8-in. thickness. With a fluted pastry cutting, cut into 2-in. squares. Place about 1/2 teaspoon filling in the center of each squares. Overlap two opposite corners of dough over the filling and seal. Sprinkle lightly with sugar.
- Place on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until bottoms are light brown. Cool on wire racks. Yield: about 5 dozen.
Originally published as Italian Horn Cookies in Country Woman Christmas Annual 1998, p34
Reviews for Italian Horn Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review