- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 2 to 4 teaspoons seeded minced jalapeno pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- Flour tortillas, warmed, optional
- In a large skillet, saute onion, green pepper and garlic in oil until tender. Stir in tomatoes and seasonings; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Make six indentations in the tomato mixture with a spoon. Break eggs into indentations.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 5 minutes or until eggs are set. Sprinkle with cheese; cover and cook until melted, about 1 minute. Serve with tortillas if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Huevos Rancheros
"Huevos Rancheros, in one form or another, is our standard Sunday breakfast, serving the eggs and sauce over corn tortillas spread with refried beans. I think I would like this recipe better with more chiles and onions, and just one can of tomatoes, but that is personal preference."